Thursday 1 March 2018

Stars

Have spent this week relaxing at home after a busy weekend (more at bottom of post).
We are currently under rather a lot of snow up here on the top of the moors - thought about going out for a few bits of shopping this morning but when I opened the front door about 18inches of snow was stacked up against it! Even if I'd made it down to the bottom of the hill there was no way I'd have got back up! Made a hasty retreat back indoors, heating turned up and donned the PJ's for the rest of the day.
So never one to miss an opportunity to make messy here is today's share!

Wanted to have a go at these 'galaxy' backgrounds for a while - and I can tell you I enjoyed it (even though my first 2 attempts were pretty rubbish).
Lots of inkiness - Squeezed Lemonade, Picked Raspberry, Seedless Preserve, Chipped Sapphire and Black Soot.

Fingers dipped in some water and dripped randomly across, then once dry some white acrylic paint mixed with a little water and silver Cosmic Shimmer loaded onto a paintbrush and flicked across.

Left to dry then some white embossing. The big star was a cheapie one and the sentiment and star clusters were freebies.
Matted onto black before onto the white card base.
Quite happy!
Joining in at
ATS&M - A/Goes
Make My Monday - Messy backgrounds
Time Out - BOLD
PIP #1808 - A/Goes
Use your stuff- Movies (2001 A Space Odyssey)

So - following on from the ladies in November, this weekend it was the men's turn to have their National Dinner and Presentation on Saturday night in Coventry.
An emotional night, my final speech in front of more than 300 people(😳) as National President. Chain of office then handed over and I have a slightly easier job now for the next year as the Immediate Past where although I will be still doing a bit of travelling, I will be there in a supporting role and not in the limelight!

Pic is of me and my lovely man - and of course the long frock! (heels lasted only 4 hours - the dinner, my speech then the presentation -  then spent the rest of the night barefoot!)

I have had an amazing year, I am tired but would not have missed it for anything.
Met some wonderful people and have been overwhelmed by the warmth and friendship extended to me everywhere.
The icing on the cake was to have raised over £8,800 for my charity 'Prevent Breast Cancer', which is based in Manchester.

I am sharing the last few sentences of my speech here with my blogging buddies -  it sums up everything I think -

"Life is like a coin. You can spend it any way you wish – but you can spend it only once. Every moment matters. Seize every opportunity you have and embrace every experience.
In the end we only regret the chances we didn’t take.

Thank you for the opportunity you gave Graham and I to have our big adventure and to have had the privilege of representing Bowls England as your President.
I would not have missed it for the world.
I won’t be sad because it’s over, I will smile because it HAPPENED!"

18 comments:

Loll said...

Oh Viv ... what gorgeous pictures of you and Graham. And a lovely event to hand over the reigns. Thanks for sharing a bit of your speech. I can imagine it was an emotional night for you. Congrats on your fundraising for breast cancer! Another amazing achievement!

On to the card ... gorgeous galaxy backgrounds I hope to create something similar and if I can just get it half as good as yours, I would be thrilled. xx

Carole said...

Oh Viv I have goosebumps at your lovely words....and you look a million dollars in that dress! As for your galaxy creation...brilliant...no wonder you are pleased, it's super...there's no stopping you now my girl! We are snowed up too here, freezing cold,can't wait for the thaw! Hugs xx

pinky said...

Snow here too Viv, yuk! Loving your galaxy card, very cool. But that dress takes the biscuit today, you look stunning. What a lovely couple you make. I think I need to go release that coin soon and have an adventure!!

Liz said...

Fabulous galaxy card, Viv, love the colours. TFS part of your speech about life being like a coin - how true and something we should all take on board. Love your dress too, you look stunning! xx

Meggymay said...

Oh Viv, as I read the words of your final speech I could feel the prickles going up the back of my neck. Those words were heartfelt, thank you for sharing them here with your Blog friends.
I mustn't forget to say the photos looked lovely, you both looked so happy
Also its a fantastic card, I love the background.
Yvonne xx

Mrs A. said...

Fabulous card,fabulous dress and fabulous speech. We are better off here at present only 4" of snow has fallen but it is snowing again now and local news said it would continue till 11am Friday morning and then turn into a blizzard for rest of day. Oh bliss!! Off to put another jumper on. hugs Mrs A.

MaryH said...

Enjoyed the pictures of the glamorous & handsome couple very much. What a gorgeous dress and it looks stunning on you. Congratulations on doing a good job, and continuing on with your program in a different position. I think your first efforts at a galaxy background are awesome! Loved the elements you've added in to make it so impressive, and the shooting star was the perfect thing to add into this night sky! TFS

aussie aNNie said...

Oh my goodness, this is one delightful post, love your fabulous galaxy make, spectacular for sure.
Love your sharing part of your speech, it is so true and precious in this day and time.
You and hubby are a handsome couple, love the photo.xx[aNNie' blog]
 ❤️

missgailly said...

This star card is gorgeous! Thanks for posting how you made it. Also, thanks for playing along at Use Your Stuff - Gail

Birdie said...

Love playing with backgrounds and I think yours is fantastic. Much like your summary! I'm so happy you joined us with the PIP challenge. Hope to see more creative results.

AO Creations said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Make My Monday, good luck!!! Amy DT

AlisonC said...

You are right we should make the most of our opportunities and it sounds like you had a great year. You look fantastic too.
This card is wonderful, I love the background and all the colours and will be having a go.

Cara said...

Wow, this is just stunning and so are you x

Pat said...

What lovely words Viv and truly bought a lump to my throat, and you are so right about taking the opportunities when they come your way and I'm sure you were and will continue to be much needed in bowling circles. Your card says it all too, I love your galaxy with the pretty stars, and your dress is gorgeous. x

Shona Chambers said...

Before I comment on your card, I just have to tell you how beautiful you look in that dress, just stunning and bet you had a very emotional and wonderful night! I've never made a 'galaxy' background before, way too complicated for me. You make it look so easy, the colours are gorgeous and its perfect for our theme too. I'm so glad you joined us at TIME OUT!

Linby said...

Love your galaxy. Great to see photos of you and in a beautiful dress. The end of your speech sounds wonderful - I must try and remember that.

Nonni said...

Your galaxy background looks absolutely amazing, I truly love it! The star images you added on it look fab and I love the way you placed them. Great work! Thanks for joining us at TIME OUT!

Helga said...

Beautiful Couple !!!!!