Sunday 22 January 2017

Alco Inks - 1.

I have had bottles and bottles of Alcohol Inks for years. I have used them exactly 5 times ......... 😕..........Until now.😀
I have always used them on metal (OH used to supply the beer cans!!) when I was doing a lot of mixed media and not a lot of card making. In recent times I have forsaken the mixed media side of things (although I still have tons of stuff/canvases/modelling paste etc etc) and concentrated on cards - mainly because time is at a premium and also I can sell the cards and the money goes in the charity pot!
BUT - being an avid follower of Loll's blog, I saw the beautiful cards she made using Alco Inks so off to Amazon I went and ordered some Yupo paper.

It arrived and I spent yesterday playing about with the dusty inks.This is the first of 3 cards made yesterday - the other 2 are not Christmas related!

I used Lettuce, Watermelon and Red Pepper colours and after watching Loll's tutorial used some tin foil to mix my colours then dragged the paper through.
Sprayed some Alco Ink blending solution in a mini- ister and when it dried this piece reminded me of Christmas colours - Cue the poinsettia die.
The sentiment is from Stamping Up's Beautiful Season set and I used Encore Gold Metallic Ink. 

The stitched frame was a bit of a mistake. I meant to emboss and ended up cutting! Rescued it by putting it back inside the already embossed outer frame!

I am secretly quite pleased with myself for finally using the long neglected inks. AND I am secretly quite pleased with the result!

Challenges -
Christmas @ Sweet Stampin - A/Goes
Sweet Stampin - Dies
Paper Players - CAS/Use a flower
C+GI - No designer paper
ABC Christmas - A = Anything Goes
Time Out - Pic Inspiration  here - and I used the red/white/green colours as inspiration!

Thanks for looking and I also thank you very very much if you have left me a comment - I appreciate them all!
Have a great day whatever you're doing! x

22 comments:

Pia S said...

Layered but in a CAS way and all the white makes the colors pop so beautifully!

Chris said...

Perfect Christmas card, love the clean design and the gorgeous poinsettias, the alcohol ink technique on the petals looks absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing with us at Sweet Stampin' Christmas
Chris
x

Barb said...

It,s a really beautiful card Viv. I love the colour of your poinsettia and enjoyed reading your process. I don't
Have any yuppo paper and have never sprayed the blending fluid. I hope we'll see your other two cards. Barbxx



Sally H said...

Stunning! What a gorgeous card. Lynne introduced me to Yupo paper a little while ago - amazing isn't it?

Kathleen said...

You certainly should be pleased with the results, the flower and the leaves are fabulous, superb colours, very well done Viv and a gorgeous card, glad you did the rest all white as it really shows the fabulous colours up.

Kath x

Meggymay said...

Good for you to use the inks, Its a fabulous card.
Yvonne xx

aussie aNNie said...

Viv, this is stunning. love it.x{aNNie}

Wendy Nicola Jackson said...

I love the crisp clean finish of your gorgeous card. Thanks for joining in the fun with us this week at Sweet Stampin' for our 'Dies & Punches' challenge. I'm so glad you did. Hugs, Wends xoxo Sweet Stampin' DT

Sarn said...

Simply beautiful Viv. Gorgeous, crisp and fresh looking.

Hugs, Sarnie xxx

Loll said...

Oh Viv ... this is one gorgeous card! LOVE the mix of colours for your poinsettia and leaves. Isn't it fun to smoosh with AIs?? Messy, but fun. :) The CAS design is amazing. Love the cross-stitch border around that beautiful sentiment. I hope you'll join us at CAS Mix Up with this card. xx

Carole said...

Beautiful card Viv! xx

Lee said...

Hi Viv.I think it's a Really Beautiful Card.hugs xx

Joan said...

So you should be pleased with yourself Viv ! Fab card and good on you for using your neglected stash, I want to play now but its almost midnight. I have a ton of birthdays coming up in February and March and I'm trying to get on with cards for them but really all I want to do is get messy, have some Yupo paper someone gave me, must find it !
Joan

Pat said...

This is beautiful Viv and the colours are gorgeous with great results using the Yupo paper. I am wanting some of this myself but I haven't got any alcohol inks and not sure if it works with anything else instead. You need to use these inks more often with fab results like this and the card is really beautiful with the cross stitched square for the sentiment, and the dry embossed outer square adds to the prettiness of the piece. x

Canonbury creations said...

Beautiful card Viv the poinsettia is fab!I love the effect of alcohol inks but like you bought them all years ago and hardly use them!
Val x

Gail said...

Beautiful! I adore the paper you made with the alcohol inks! What gorgeous poinsettias and leaves! Thanks for joining us at Christmas at Sweet Stampin'! --Gail

Aileen said...

Well it all turned out perfect. Absolutely love the colours used and your card is so eye catching and beautiful, watch out world we have another alcohol inks convert. Its amazing the colours and designs you can achieve and on the yupo, ohh so easy. Cant wait to see the other two cards.

TK said...

Viv, so glad you dusted off those inks because we're loving your efforts!

Furrbster said...

Wow these flowers are brilliant! What a great effect!

Hugz Tinz

Mrs A. said...

You should be shouting this from the rooftops. It is georgeous and those colours are so right for the poinsettia. Clever you. Now I have the inks, I have the yupo paper, just need to find the time! Hugs Mrs A.

Nonni said...

Very beautiful layout with those squares, love it! Your inky flowers are awesome too. Thanks for joining us at TIME OUT!

Dorte said...

Beautiful and elegant Christmas card.
Thanks for joining this years first challenge at ABC Christmas Challenge.
Dorte x