Friday 22 January 2010

Ruby


If you've not already become acquainted with this lady before I would like to introduce you to Ruby! Isn't she the coollest?? LOL

Ruby is one of several 'ladies with attitude' that are available from a brand new company called Bugaboo. I have acquired quite a few 'digi stamps' over the last couple of months but don't use them very much - I am not very good at 'colouring in' and struggle unmercifully with shading and trying to give the image 'depth'.

But I liked Ruby (and the other ladies from Bugaboo) and I wanted to try and make a card using her! That was easier said than done too............. I have agonised for almost two days fiddling with bits of different papers to try and get a layout! In the end, I gave up and opted for a simple basic layout, (and as I had printed Ruby and her friends onto cream card) using a cream card as the base.

On the base card, I used burgundy card stock, another layer of cream and then a layer of burgundy card that had tiny pink stars on it. Ruby was coloured with promarkers (blush for her face, a combo of red/henna for her hair, cool grey for her dress and purple for her boots) and I tried to add some shading. Not the best but at least I had a go!

I added some bling and some cream velvet ribbon. I don't normally scan my cards preferring to take a pic instead, but no matter how hard I tried the colour repro in the photo was not right. The cream card came out rather washed out white and grey looking, so a scan it is!

Overall I am reasonably happy with this card, I'm hoping that Ruby will detract from my less than perfect colouring/shading!

I have submitted this card for several challenges - Stamp Something's theme is 'Funny' (well I think Ruby's funny anyway!), Corrosive Challenge is to 'Go Digi', Just Us Girls set a colour challenge of Burgundy, Blush, Vanilla and Gray (am hoping the cream card qualifies!) and Passion for Promarkers has a theme of 'Girls, Girls, Girls' this week - maybe those experienced digi converts can give me some tips!

13 comments:

The Crafty Den said...

Hi Viv, what a fun card. The image is gorgeous and the sentiment is perfect. Love the clean and simple style of your card. Thanks for joining us at PFP this week. Hugs, Denise x

Mona Pendleton said...

What a fun card! Love the blingy buckle. Great job with this week's color challenge with Just Us Girls. Hope to see you Saturday for an all new challenge!

Tracey said...

You are right Viv she is very cool & so is your card! Love the bling :o)

Hugs
Tracey
x

Anonymous said...

I love this image and know just who I could send it to! Thanks for sharing and playing along at PfP this week.
Sam xx

Diamond Doll said...

Hiya Viv what a fab card, i love Ruby shes a dream LOL!
(hugs)
Trish (-:

AKiteFlier said...

WOO - what a FUN one - gotta love that image - isn't it funny how our taste changes over time!? I have a few GFs I could send this image to. LOL Thanks for playing along with Just Us Girls - sorry I was late in commenting this week OOPS.

Sherry said...

It's a fantastic card Viv - and that stamp is great!

Ida / Little said...

Hi Viv, you must have the funniest card this week. I just love it ;) Thanks for joining us at PfP this week!


Hugs Ida

Maureen said...

Brilliant!!

Jan said...

LOVE THIS! Looks a bit like me on a GOOD day lol!
Great colours and design

Anne said...

Yes I can relate to Ruby LOL. Actually I'm sitting here watching Ruby Walsh winning races at Ascot, on TV not there I mean.

Paper piecing helps if you don't like the colouring, though this looks pretty darn good...

SANDERELLA said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog!! Nice to meet you! I LOVE this lady- she reminds me of me!!! What a great card! Love the buckle too!

DeeDee said...

A super funny card! :0) I love this image!

Thank you fo joining us at Stamp Something this week!

Hugs from Germany
Diana